As we all know, Diamonds are some of the rare and expensive stones possessed by very few people in society. Moissanites are almost as precious and exquisite as diamonds and do not cost as much as diamonds. In some cases, Moissanite is preferred over the diamonds because of certain advantages that these diamond substitutes enjoy over the real diamonds.
This article furnishes some points of differences between the diamonds and the so-called diamond approximates.
|Diamond||Moissanite- The Fake Diamond|
|Origin||Natural diamonds are extracted from the earth’s crust while the synthetic ones can be created in labs too.||These are created in laboratories through chemical processes.|
|Pricing||These are comparatively more expensive than the moissanite. The price is based on the shape, carat, cut, color, and clarity of the diamond.||It is cheaper than the real diamonds with the same shine and exuberance. The price varies based on size and whether the stone is Premium or Super Premium.|
|Durability||They have a score of 10 on the Mohs scale and are the hardest stones available on the earth.||These gain a score of 9.25 on a Mohs scale and are almost close to diamonds in their hardness level.|
|Colors||These are available in various colors as the colored diamonds are rare and very expensive.||These are created in the labs, so they can be available in almost all the colors. You will have a wide variety to choose from.|
|Clarity||Since diamonds are excavated from the earth’s surface, they have a lot of imperfections due to the mixing of materials in the formation process.||The fact that these are lab generated makes them flawless in their appearance.|
|Nature||Natural ones are obtained through mining; therefore, some sort of harm is done to the environment.||Lab-created diamonds are environment friendly as no harm is done to the situation in its process of making.|
Are Moissanites better than the diamonds?
Moissanites enjoy a lot of benefits when compared to diamonds, some of which are stated below:
- Moissanite is more brilliant than diamond. It possesses more sparkle and shines due to its “double refraction” property.
- The dispersion or the so-called “fire” in Moissanites is much higher than diamonds, and it breaks down light into intense spectral colors.
- If a comparison is to be made between the weight of the diamond and moissanite, the former are much heavier than the latter despite the same size because these have lower density.
- Moissanites have a higher clarity than diamonds because they are produced in the labs and have very little or no impurities.
- The best and the most important is the price factor as moissanite only costs a little portion of a diamond and hence becomes the first choice for a lot of buyers.
Since we’ve seen the significant differences between Moissanites and diamonds, we can easily decide which ones to use. Each of us has different preferences when it comes to purchasing gemstones. Anyone who has the potential to buy diamonds won’t go for moissanite as diamonds are a status symbol in today’s society.